Academic Positions and Education
- Assistant Professor, ICAR/08 - Science of Constructions (15/07/2005 to 20/10/2014)
- Post-Doctoral Researcher, University of Bologna, Italy (07/2005 to 09/2005).
- Ph.D., Engineering of Materials and Structures, University of Calabria, Italy (02/2005).
- M.S., Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego, California (11/2004).
- Laurea (M.S.), Magna Cum Laude, Civil Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy (03/2001).
- Non-destructive evaluation techniques of materials and structures.
- Ultrasonic guided wave propagation.
- Signal analysis techniques.
- Optimization strategies.
- National Scientific qualification for Associate Professor in the sector 08/B2 – Structural Mechanics (30/11/2013).
- Level 3 for Guided Waves nondestructive testing UNI EN 473 and ISO 9712 (since 2010).
- Italian PE certification (since 2001).
- Vice-coordinator of the PhD Program “Civil, Chemical, Environmental and Materials Engineering PhD@DICAM”, University of Bologna (since 11/03/2014).
- Member, Doctorate of Engineering of Materials and Structures Degree Committee, University of Calabria, Italy.
- Italian Association for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics – AIMETA (since 2011).
- International Scientific Committee, “Centro Studi e Ricerche per l’Identificazione dei Materiali e delle Strutture – CIMEST, Michele Capurso,” Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Italy (since 2010).
- Italian Association for Nondestructive Testing, Monitoring and Diagnosis – AIPND (since 2005).
- “Albo degli Ingegneri” (Society of Professional Engineers, Italy) (since 2001).
Honors and Awards
- Marco Polo fellowship, to support research studies abroad, University of Bologna (2007).
- Human Resources and Mobility, Marie Curie Conferences & Training Courses Fellowship, (2006).
- Best poster presentation, Dept. of Structural Eng. UCSD Jacobs School of Engineering Research Review (2004).
- Laurea prize, SPINNER – “Servizi per la Promozione dell’INNovazione E della Ricerca” (2001).
Funded Research Grants
- "Investigation of elastic wave propagation phenomenon in composite materials with imperfections", framework for bi-lateral Cooperation between Poland and Italy - HARMONIA, PI Prof. Wieslaw Ostachowicz. Overall 220000 euro, budget allocated to support UNIBO staff mobility 38000 euro, 04/2013 - 03/2015.
- Smart Intelligent Aircraft Structures - SARISTU, n°284562 FP7-AAT-2011-RTD-1, 9/2011-8/2015, € 499848.
- “Identificazioni di occlusioni in reti di condotte per il trasporto di fluidi monofasici”, Division Refining and Marketing R&M, ENI s.p.a., 6/2010-12/2010, € 30000.
- “Metodo inverso per la stima dei parametri incogniti in reti di approvvigionamento olio e gas”, Division Refining and Marketing R&M,, ENI s.p.a., 9/2009-5/2010, € 35000.
- T. Mantegazza, A. Di Lullo, P. Bocchini, A. Marzani, Metodo per l’identificazione di occlusioni in reti di tubazioni per il trasporti di fluidi, WO2013IB53910 20130514.
Invention Disclosures (UCSD)
- F. Lanza di Scalea, I. Bartoli, S. Coccia, A. Marzani, Numerical method for modelling wave propagation in waveguide structures of arbitrary cross-section, UC invention case No(s) 2008-832. University of California San Diego – UCSD, USA.
Invited Seminars and Presentations
- “Inspection of steel ropes, thin plates, composite joints, pavements and rails using Guided Waves (GW)”, centro FAST - AIPnD, Milano, June 27, 2008.
- “Fisica di base e principi generali del metodo di ispezione di tubazioni mediante Onde Guidate”, centro VEGA - ISPESL, Mestre, April 4, 2008.
- “Ultrasonic guided wave for structural health monitoring of pipes, cables and grouted tendons”, Napoli - FIB Commission on Reinforcing and Prestressing Materials and System, June 1-2, 2006.
- Member, “Multiresolution Analysis and Simulation Group”, University of Bologna, Italy (since 2010).
- Visiting Professor, Department of Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego (2007 june to august).
- Visiting Scholar, Department of Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego (oct 2002 to june 2003).
Editorial and Institutional Services
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Journal of Applied Mathematics”, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, ISSN: 1110-757X (Print), ISSN: 1687-0042 (Online), doi:10.1155/4185
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Structural Monitoring and Maintenance (SMM), An International Journal”, ISSN:2288-6605 (Print) ISSN:2288-6613 (Online).
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Journal of Engineering", ISSN: 2314-4912 (Print), ISSN: 2314-4904 (Online), doi:10.1155/JE.
Special Issue Guest Editor
- "New Strategies and Challenges in SHM for Aerospace and Civil Structures" published in "Mathematical Problems in Engineering", ISSN: 1024-123X (Print), ISSN: 1563-5147 (Online), doi:10.1155/MPE
- "Structural Health Monitoring of Civil Structures: New Methodologies and Field Applications 2012" published in "Advances in Civil Engineering", ISSN: 1687-8086 (Print), ISSN: 1687-8094 (Online), doi:10.1155/ACE
J. of Sound and Vibration; Computer and Structures; Research in Nondestructive Evaluation; J. of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures; Smart Materials and Structures; IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control; Mechanics Research Communications; Composite Structures; Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing; J. of the Acoustical Society of America; NDT&International; Structural Health Monitoring and Durability; Ultrasonics; Advances in Structural Engineering; Mathematical Problems in Engineering; Wave motion; International J. of Acoustics and Vibration; Experimental Techniques; Applied Mathematical Modelling; International J. for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, Ocean Engineering; Shock and Vibration, J. of Engineering Mechanics, J. of Bridge Engineering, J. of Engineering Mathematics, J. of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences, Sensors, Construction & Building Materials, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design; J. of Zhejiang University-SCIENCE A; Experimental Mechanics, J. of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, Optic Letters, J. of Fluids and Structures, Multidiscipline Modeling in Materials and Structures, Structural Health Monitoring.
- Member, “Working group for the qualification and certification of personnel involved in the screening by the method of guided waves” of Centro Italiano di Certificazione per le Prove Non Distruttive – CICPND.
- Member, “Convoyed waves not distructive test for pulling down” of Istituto Superiore per la Prevenzione e la Sicurezza del Lavoro – ISPESL.
- Member of the Technical Committee, “Non-destructive testing” of Italian National Agency for Standardization – UNI.
- Structural Dynamics, MD (since A.A. 13/14), Master degree in Civil Engineering.
- Advanced Structural Mechanics, MD (since A.A. 15/16), International Master degree in Civil Engineering.
- Structural Design Projects, MD (since A.A. 10/11-14/15), International Master degree in Civil Engineering.
- Advanced Structural Mechanics, MD (since A.A. 13/14), International Master degree in Historic Buildings Rehabilitation.
- Fundamentals of Solid and Structural Mechanics LD (A.A. 05/06), Laurea degree in Technician of Territory.
- Laboratory of Solid and Structural Mechanics LD (A.A. 07/08 - 08/09), MS degree in Construction/Architectural Engineering.
- Laboratory of Structures, LD (A.A. 08/09), Laurea degree in Civil Engineering.
- Statics, LD (A.A. 06/07-13/14), Laurea degree in Construction Engineering.
- Plates and Shells, MD (since A.A. 09/10-13/14), Master degree Mechanical/Energetic Engineering.
Associate Professor of Structural Mechanics
office: +39 051 2093506
lab: +39 051 2090392